Kootenay Mountain Culture Blog

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Intern Speaks

We had our best intern to date on this last issue. Alyson Becker worked her but off in between shifts and classes. 
Her last task was to tell us how it went. So here she be...

I picked up my first issue of Kootenay Mountain Culture magazine two years ago while scanning the displays of wish list bike parts lining the walls of the local cycle shop. The four piece elemental cross of outdoor shred shone off the front cover and lured me over instantly. Before I knew what had happened, I was hunched over the matte pages basking in the photos, words and white spaces all the while praising the brains behind this kick ass operation. Two years and a lot of great Kootenay living later, I found myself asking those same folks to take me on as a summer issue challenge – ahem, intern. Lucky for me they accepted my desperate plea to take part in the greatness that is independent media and I became part of the team.

Working with the folks at KMC was what I hoped it would be; trips to Nelson with post-meeting Whitewater visits, interviews with rad guys and gals in the biking industry, brushing up on my fly-fishing jargon and putting my energy into something pretty damn incredible. Not to mention I got to learn a lot from the people behind the paper.  Of course the glamorous job of college intern doesn’t come without some challenges and I did spend countless hours scouring the world wide whackhouse looking for photos of mountains most of us have never heard of, trying to locate every backcountry lodge North of the 49 and digging up details on whatever the crew threw at me. There was more than one occasion where I woke up at 4 am in a cold sweat with the Kootenay Rockies map staring me in the face but in the end, it was all worth it.

I picked up the summer 2008 issue of Kootenay Mountain Culture two weeks ago with great excitement. The shred was gleaming off the front cover as it tends to do and every page behind that is page full of great images, words, thoughts and experiences. I feel pretty lucky to have had this opportunity to be a small part of the brains that keep independent, freethinking, shredtastic media alive, thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home